Podcast: Play in new window | Download
The BjjBrick Podcast is in iTunes, and Stitcher radio
Today we talk to John Castillo about BJJ and self defense.
John Castillo, Byron Jabara, and Renato Tavares
There are three main aspects of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
- Vale Tudo (MMA)
- Tournament Jiu-Jitsu
- Self defense (mostly viewed as a 1 vs 1 conflict without any weapons)
Going to the ground in a self defense situation can be very dangerous.
- You could get attacked by other people (human soccer ball)
- Many people have knifes on them, it could be more difficult to get away from a weapon
Some advantages of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a self defense situation.
- It is a contact sport and you are more accustom to the stresses and discomfort
- You could be able to hold someone down and not need to hurt them
- You are less likely to get beat up by one person in a “fair fight”
Things you can do to make sure you are more prepared to survive a self defense situation.
- Learn some strikes (jab cross combo, basic kicks, knees and elbows)
- Understand how weapons can be used against you
- Try to increase your situational awareness
- Do some escape drills (learn what it takes to escape a room full of people)
- Train with a fake gun or knife
- Don’t go to places where violence is likely
- Try the Hubud drill ( a Filipino martial art drill)
- Go to a Kapap or Israeli Krav Maga class
You can win the fight and still lose big. You could get sewed, kicked out of your BJJ gym, lose the respect of your community or coworkers.
Your main goal in a street fight is to survive; the best way to survive is to avoid the conflict. The best move you can often do is to go home.
Contact John Castillo at Johnnyjiujitsu@yahoo.com or phone 316-265-0722
Castillo Jiu-Jitsu facebook page
Quote of the week- “The harder work the luckier I get” Thomas Jefferson
Article of the week “Rickson Gracie Advice that was echoed by a fantastic highschool principal.” By Part time grappler.
We also talked about the desire to win vs the goal of performing at your best.
This podcast is available in iTunes.