I went to Panama in August 2013. I was lucky enough to get some mat time and learn from Hector Vasquez. Hector is a great instructor and I recommend his school to anyone in Panama. I also walked around in the old part of panama called Casco Viejo.
If you are going to train in Panama City I strongly recommend contacting Hector, he speaks perfect English. Hector is an excellent instructor and a very nice guy. He also has kids classes and has hosted a tournament in Panama. Click here to start training in Panama
Here is my quick guide to visiting Panama.
1) Go see the canal. My wife and I went to the Miraflores locks. You gotta see the canal if you go to panama.
2) Experience the rainforest. We booked a jungle day tour here. www.junglelandpanama.com/
It was an amazing experience, we saw four different kinds of monkeys, countless birds and the hundreds of beautiful plants. Carl is a entertaining and knowledgeable guide.
3) Pearl islands. If you have time take the ferry to the islands. We spent the day on the island snorkeling and watching whales. Here is the ferry we took. www.ferrylasperlas.com. We went to Contadora Island.
4) Check out Panama City. There is lots to see, just get a decent cab and discuss the price before you get in.
5) Do some Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, go see or call Hector. I recommend seeing as much of Panama as you can. And if you have a little time in one of the evenings swing by and get some mat time.
If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments or email me at email@example.com